Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What is a gift?

What is a gift. Paul lays the gifts out quite extensively in 1 Cor 12:4-11 (KJV) "4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

These are gifts given us by the Holy Spirit. Jesus had utilized all of the above gifts during His ministry while on earth and before His sacrificial death on the cross which resulted in a victorious resurrection from the grave! Before ascending up to the Heavens to be with the Father, Jesus informed His disciples that when the Holy Spirit comes to them, they would receive power and witness to the world. John 14:12-14 (KJV) "12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

To be endowed with any of these gifts from the Holy Spirit and to possess the ability to perform the same miracles as Jesus our Savior is an awesome thing indeed! To be given the ability to use our faith in these ways is also a very humbling responsibility and sobering reality. I am still trying to determine which of these gifts I have................but I know that I will soon discover what I seek. I have faith that what God says will happen will happen and I stand on God's Word. I know that God has a plan for my life in ministering for His Kingdom. The exact details are not written in stone but I patiently await my gift. What is written in stone is our mandate to go out into the world and preach the Gospel. How we go about that should not be a stumbling stone to us, the believers.

We must ensure that we are taking every opportunity to testify to other people and we must always be prepared to answer one's questions when they are asked. Col 4:2-6 (KJV) 2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; 3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: 4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak (to walk wisely toward those who have not yet come to the true knowledge of Christ). 5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

God has been pruning me ever since I rededicated my life to Him in 2008. He has been purging me of my imperfections little by little to bring me out of the fire to the point of clarity so I am able to establish my credibility as His soldier and servant in the world. Although the process will never be completed here on earth, I grow closer to Him daily and mature in my walk with Him as I approach every hill in my life and then crest it just to move onto the next one. But this is the experience I was talking about. This is the Journey of Faith! My Journey of Faith. I am excited about being His child and I am ever hungry for more spiritual food as each new day comes. I have learned so much just in the last year that I never knew existed. I am learning more by the day and fervently look forward to a life a happiness and contentment despite any set-backs or issues which might arise. Why? Because my God reigns! He is in control.............................. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is welcomed...Feel free to post your comments!